Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Flying Fish And Potatoes

I may have mentioned Harum Records before. The shop was in Crouch End, North London, and I used to spend ages hanging around there - I bought (and sold) a lot of second hand albums and also listened to all kinds of stuff I hadn't heard before.

The shop was run by two brothers, and the younger brother (Gary) was into pretty much the same kind of stuff as me although he was a few years older. He introduced me to - among many, many others - Dion, Mike Nesmith and Jesse Colin Young.

Jesse Colin Young had been the lead singer with the Youngbloods, but went solo in the early 70s and released these two albums. I'm not quite sure how to categorise them - mainstream soft rock, loosely in the sort of Mac Gayden/Doobie Brothers mould - but JCY's voice and some of the arrangements lift them way above the average.

Great stuff.

Jesse Colin Young - Song For Juli (1973)

1. Morning Sun
2. Song For Juli
3. Ridgetop
4. Evenin'
5. Miss Hesitation
6. T-Bone Shuffle
7. Lafayette Waltz / Jambalaya
8. Country Home

http://rapidshare.com/files/16575361/Song4Juli.zip

Jesse Colin Young - Light Shine (1974)

1. California Suite - California Child
2. California Suite - Grey Day
3. California Suite - Light Shine
4. Pretty And The Fair
5. Barbados
6. Motorcycle Blues
7. The Cuckoo
8. Susan

http://rapidshare.com/files/16556291/Lightshine.zip

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesse Colin Young - Song For Juli (1973): JAMBALAYA is missing

11:37 am  
Blogger Witchseason said...

Jambalaya is included in Lafayette Waltz - on the album cover they are listed as two separate tracks but on the record they're two parts of a medley.

12:24 pm  
Blogger Carlos said...

Hi Witchseason

Of course after downloading the jesse Colin i visict your entire blog, good things. Is it possible to have the links for the 3 Laura Nyro albums. The links are dead, and if you have "New York Tendaberry" it's amazing. I have "Eli and the Thirteen Confession" and "Time and Love:the Essential Masters" if you need.

Thanks

Ciao

Carlos

6:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I just wanna let you know that I´ve learned that Jesse Colin Young has realeased no less then 11 (eleven) albums, I have one, "Together", bought it at a thrift store ´cause I figured that an album fethuring both tablas and pedal-steel-guitar can´t be bad, turned out I was right.

Cheers ! / Tjomas

4:50 pm  
Blogger ddd1301 said...

Awesome stuff. I had forgotten how good Jesse was.

11:20 pm  
Blogger chris said...

Hi there,
Not sure whether I can explain why Jesse Colin Young is so popular on here, but here's my tale...
I first heard a song of his on the OGWT in the early 70s, just one of their recording-plus-psychedelic-film affairs, not performance. Ever since then, I had this idea that Mornin' Sun (which I'm sure was the record in question) was an incredible song.
I haven't heard it at all since then - since I was able to download it from your site.

My verdict?
Pleasant enough, much more lightweight than I remember it to be. Great to hear it again though!

Thanks ever so.
Chris

6:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He got some play on easy listening fm radio in the 70's and always worked with jazz folk bands - almost comparable to Van the Man w/o the soul and blues. Glad to hear things worked out. Took his name from the novel Youngblood Hawke

Really dig that relaxed singing style - like ricky Nelson - never breaks a sweat

5:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have Song for Juli on vinyl but haven't been able to rip it yet -- thanks for this!

2:50 pm  
Blogger Dave Schipper said...

It's only fair that I'm downloading this one because it's in my basement. Thanks you saved me time to rip it myself.

Thanks

Dave

1:14 pm  
Blogger Durge & The Oldies said...

Juli & Susan hit me hard when I first bought a collection CD of his work. Very unique sound and something special going on that gives these songs energy without hardly a bit of effort. Nice to see you've included this among the many fantastic albums I've enjoyed exploring on your blog. Thanks very much for the enlightenment across the board!

4:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just heard "Ridgetop" on local collage radio! Dash back home to check their playlist. If I can find a hard copy, I'm buying! Thanks to you and your record player, :-)

8:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home