Friday, March 23, 2007

Say Hello To The Freedom Fighters

Alan Gill and David Balfe were two members of the Liverpool scene (not 'The Liverpool Scene', that was a different band altogether – anyone got any of their albums to share?) that spawned The Teardrop Explodes and Echo And The Bunnymen (and Lori And The Chameleons – remember 'Touch'?), and in 1977 they got together under the name dalek I love you (no caps). According to Wikipedia, "the name came about as a result of a compromise between the two members: Balfe wanted to call the band Dalek (after the Doctor Who villains) and Gill wanted to call the band Darling, I Love You".

Over the next couple of years the band lineup expanded and decreased (and the name shortened to 'dalek i') until by 1980 it consisted of Alan Gill and Dave Hughes. These two made a single called – yep – dalek i love you, and then a quirky little album called compass kum'pas, which I bought in – yep – Midnight Music aka English Weather in Crouch End. Although the kum'pas bit is actually kum'p*s where the * is a sort of upside down e.

There was another album released under the name Dalek I Love You (with caps), but it was a lot more polished and a lot less fun. I didn't bother following their career after that.

So here's the first album and single. Sorta like a naïve OMD…? Oh – and on the original vinyl the sides were labelled 'Topsy' and 'Turvy' instead of A and B.

dalek i - compass kum'pas

01 - 01 - The World

01 - 02 - 8 Track

01 - 03 - Destiny (Dalek I Love You)

01 - 04 - A Suicide

01 - 05 - The Kiss

01 - 06 - Trapped

01 - 07 - Two Chameleons

01 - 08 - Freedom Fighters

01 - 09 - You Really Got Me

01 - 10 - Mad

01 - 11 - Good Times

01 - 12 - We're All Actors

01 - 13 - Heat

01 - 14 - Missing 15 Minutes

dalek I love you - Dalek I Love You (Destiny)

00 - 01 - Dalek I Love You (Destiny) (single mix)

00 - 02 - Happy

00 - 03 - This Is My Uniform

http://rapidshare.com/files/22513979/Dalek_I_Love_You.zip

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many, many, many thanks - you've made an old man very happy. I've been trying to get the Compass Kumpass CD for years, but it goes for £60+ on ebay, and all I wanted was a copy of my vinyl that I could listen to in the car. Wish I'd kept my turntable.. By pure chance, the second LP is being reissued on CD next month - just £7 from HMV, but agree this is the best LP.

keep up the great work
Mike

7:32 am  
Blogger Witchseason said...

It's a pleasure, and thanks for your comments. Always appreciated.

Anything else you're after? I'm not sure what to post next & I guess you've got an idea of the sort of stuff I might have.

Cheers

Jerry

9:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe I've found this. You've made another old man happy! I don't suppose you've ripped the old Zoo Compilation 'To the Shores of Lake Placid'? I've found alot of it on various other cds but I'm missing several tracks.

1:01 am  
Blogger Witchseason said...

I *do* have the Zoo album - haven't ripped it yet but certainly will do the next time I rig up my turntable. Might be a couple of weeks but I'll definitely do it - thanks for the suggestion.

6:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks very glad for the Zoo LP!

1:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

with the help of the total fuzzy agregator i founded the dalek here
thanks a lot (i think what i write !) i'm looking for this since many years
long life for your blog
lilac

9:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IS THIS STILL UP,CAN'T SEEM TO GET IT ON RAPIDSHARE DOES IT NEED RE SEEDING.lOVE THIS ALBUM JUST WANT IT ON CD ,AS I DON'T HAVE A TURNTABLE AT MOMENT.
CHEERS

8:09 pm  
Blogger See Me Repeat Me said...

Um, I believe Dalek I Love You sounds "sorta like a naive OMD" because (a.) Andy McCluskey was briefly the lead singer for the former in the late '70s and (b.) that band was cited as a direct influence on OMD. Unless you meant to be facetious there... ? I mean, it can't be coincidental that Naive also happens to be the name of a latter-era Dalek I Love You album....

4:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home