Wednesday, April 23, 2008

We Know By The Ground That We Are...

Hum.

I debated long and hard about this.

A number of people have contacted me, via comments here and via email, about whether I would post the Shirley Collins 'Within Sound' box set, and I was always non-committal - "I'll think about it". Basically, I paid a fortune for the bloody thing and I'm reluctant to give it away for free - especially when it isn't free (not to me, anyway, I have to pay for my Rapidshare space otherwise the files get deleted after a month).

However, this box set cannot be bought any more. Occasionally it crops up on Amazon or Ebay at a hundred pounds or so (that's what I paid for my copy) but I'm reluctant to support chancers who sell secondhand but otherwise unavailable goods at exorbitant prices.

I have contacted the manufacturers, who told me that the copyright and licensing was for a strictly limited time and quantity and they will *definitely* not be manufacturing any more. Which is a dreadful shame because a) there seem to be a lot of people who want to buy it and b) there is a heck of a lot of excellent music on it. And, while I'm on the subject, I'd suggest you grab the Sandy Denny 'Boxful Of Treasures' set (from the same company) before *that* runs out as well. Oh, and the Watersons one (though that's from Topic, and not likely to go out of print).

However, about half of the tracks on the SCollins box *can* be legally bought on other CDs, and in a way that will (hopefully) continue to benefit the wonderful lady herself - check Amazon or TheBeesKnees.

So what I've decided is that I'll post *some* of the tracks - basically, the ones that aren't on any other legally and currently available CD. Almost by definition these aren't the absolute best of Shirley's work, but they are pretty indispensable if you're a fan and do include some extraordinary gems - for example the beautiful 'Gilderoy', and 'Honour Bright' (a duet with the criminally under-rated Steve Ashley).

Shirley Collins - Within Sound (incomplete)

Part one - Dabbling In The Dew to Whitsun Dance

Part two - The Blacksmith to Never Again

Part three - Gilderoy to Lost In A Wood

Check out the Within Sound page of Reinhard's excellent and indispensible site for more details on the box set.

Oh - and if this is ever reissued you can bet I'll be removing the files pronto.

(Bought Robin Dransfield's reissued Tidewave yet?)

20 Comments:

Blogger ge said...

can anyone explain the new Rapidshare cats-letters mess for free users anyway?---it does not work whenever the 'waiting period' option is used ie NOW [but strangely works immediately during presumed 'off-hours']

1:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could try paying!!!!!

5:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Part 2 & 3 do not download properly, seem to be corrupted

6:01 pm  
Blogger Witchseason said...

Parts 2 & 3 are fine, I just downloadeed 'em meself.

7:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are fine now, thanks. But they weren't earlier!

8:51 pm  
Blogger Private Beach said...

I will have no sympathy with the record companies' complaints about illegal downloads so long as they stupidly keep refusing to make music legally available to those who want it. The fact is that numerous albums that people are willing to pay for (see eBay) are inexplicably kept off the market, so the record companies have only themselves to blame if people seek other ways to get hold of them. The current absurd situation screws both the consumers who can't buy what they want at an affordable price, and the artists who can't benefit financilly from the demand for their work.

8:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A brilliant download, although I did have trouble with parts 2 & 3 at first. I can see your reasons for not putting up some tracks, although I wish you would reconsider. If I could get the box set I would gladly pay for it, but if it isn't available it is fair game. Incidentally, some of the tracks that you have put up are available elsewhere, so I am not sure of your reasoning in this. But I don't want to sound churlish because I am truly grateful to get it at all. Thanks!!!

11:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, I hate Rapidshare. Continually telling me I'm already downloading stuff when I'm not. But I'll get this in the end. And THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting it. All of Shirley Collins music should be available. She is, as Billy Bragg says, a national treasure. I agree totally with Private Beach. If issuing a CD is too expensive for the music industry, then put the damn thing on iTunes. But give us the music we want. If not, then downloading from other sources is the only option. Again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS.

11:32 am  
Blogger Witchseason said...

OK, let me rephrase that.

The tracks that I've uploaded are those that *I* don't have on any other album - and I have pretty much all of them on CD and/or vinyl.

There may be some tracks that are on an album I don't have (and therefore probably don't know about). If you can be bothered to tell me which tracks are available, I'll remove them and re-up...

Thanks for the thankyous. Always appreciated.

12:09 pm  
Blogger ge said...

You could try paying!!!!!
and reward them for making me wait and play with those dumb cats only to repeat uselessly? [they dont tell ya paying will solve anything, nor that the months-old free-after-waiting policy has changed]
Nein danke

wonderful share, i'm sure, mr turntable

9:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for this indeed. I also really appreciate your approach of only uploading the unavailable cuts.

3:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Witchseason, is there any chance you could put up some Spirogyra from that list you posted? Not sure what is currently available and what is not, but anything would be appreciated.

Cheers,
David

12:25 pm  
Blogger Anon said...

A heartfelt thanks for Within Sound.

10:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are undoubtedly a wonderful person!

10:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Thanks.WS1 is exactly as needed. Track 19 is Over the hill (not 'green hills'.)
WS2 has some tracks maybe that appear elsewhere: 20, 21, 23 on The Holly Bears The Crown. 24, 26, 27 from Adieu To Old England. 25 , 35, 36 from For As Many As Will. 32, 33 from The Albion Country Band: The Prospect Before Us.
WS3 is not working at Rapidshare. I tried twice and both times downloading stopped at about 74% of the file. Can you help me out?
Thanks again,
Best regards.
Alex.

3:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Me again. Just succeeded downloading WS3. Perfect.Thank you very much. My comments: track 37 is from For As Many As Will. Tracks 39-43 are from a live cd Harking Back. The rest is most welcome. Nothing else that can be requested.
Alex.

10:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a big Shirley Collins fan, I thank you very much and hope that someday these recordings will be reissued, perhaps on a different compilation.
Her work is always aspiring.

2:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been hunting for this for so long. I'm a huge fan and I'm fairly certain I have every CD she ever released. I saw this once on a shelf in a shop in NYC, but didn't have the cash - I assembled a bunch of cds to sell and rushed back, and it was already gone.

I put this on, and played the last track first: Babes in the Woods. And I actually burst into tears. I cried and cried.

Thanks so much.

6:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks for this! I held out on buying the box until too late and then simply - more like very grumpily, actually - accepted that I wouldn't be getting the recordings on it that I didn't already have. Thanks to you I'm not feeling grumpy today! :-)

2:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

grabbing these now. thank you, thank you, thank you, many times over for this public service. music should be free now, even if it wasn't before.

5:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home