Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I'm Alive, But That's The Last Thing On My Mind

MMMMMMellanieee... oh how we loved her...

There was a lot more to her than 'Brand New Key', of course, and a good half of the songs on the live 'Candles In The Rain' album always made me cry. Gorgeous. She's still going, of course, but she must be sixty now (at least) and I don't think I could stand to see her live.

When she managed to get free from her Buddha contract she formed Neighborhood Records and began to put out her choice of music rather than what the label had dictated. This was the first release, and it's a real corker - quite possibly her best album.

I guess it's never been released on CD because it simply isn't relevant in 2008 - pity. I'd love a decent digital copy - sorry for the poor vinyl rip but it's the best I can do.

Melanie - Stoneground Words (1972)

01 - Together Alone
02 - Between The Road Signs
03 - Summer Weaving
04 - My Rainbow Race
05 - Do You Believe
06 - I Am Not A Poet
07 - Stoneground Words
08 - Song Of The South
09 - Maybe I Was (A Golf Ball)
10 - Here I Am
11 - Bitter Bad

http://rapidshare.com/files/93439585/Stoneground.zip

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't heard this for years! Oh yes, we loved her. Actually, there's some live stuff on youtube recorded not so long ago and she's still sounding pretty damn good. I'd certainly go and see her if I got the chance. Many thanks for this post.

4:17 am  
Blogger whiteray said...

Hey, thanks for the Melanie. Great stuff, for sure.

5:38 am  
Blogger andaloudog said...

Yes, thanks -- wonderful, and unjustly overlooked.

10:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I have been looking for this album forever and ever and I just ran across your blog by chance. Thank! Thank you! Thank you!

purplehaze

1:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i searched my a** off for this album, and you got it!! thanks SO MUCH. greets!

5:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *did* see her live a couple of years ago, and she sings better than ever! Not that that's saying much. ;-)

Seriously, if you liked the albums, you will probably like her current work even more.

4:39 am  
Blogger secondhandjays said...

Wow this is great, thats so much - I have all of her albums, kinda fell in love with her when I was a kid.

10:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home