Friday, June 29, 2007

Poddy Royly

I can't really be bothered to write very much right now so I'll just stick up the links.

Paddy Reilly is - or was, 30 years ago - pretty much the best of the Irish ballad singers. I saw him play live, once in Donegal Town and once somewhere else, when I was on tour in Ireland in 1977 - he was very good and I had a great respect for the man.

Later, he joined The Dubliners - haven't heard that lineup but I suspect it wasn't as good as these three little gems.

Paddy Reilly - The Life Of Paddy Reilly (1973)

The cover photo of this album was taken at the gates of Kilmainham gaol, which is where James Connelly was hanged. Funny (or not), when I was playing Irish music we weren't allowed to sing the words of that song. So we palyed it as an instrumental - we weren't alone in that.

01 - 01 - Spancil Hill
01 - 02 - Coming Of The Road
01 - 03 - Sam Hall
01 - 04 - Come To The Bower
01 - 05 - Deportees
01 - 06 - Dollymount Strand
01 - 07 - Irish Soldier Boy
01 - 08 - Matt Hyland
01 - 09 - Orange And The Green
01 - 10 - James Larkin
01 - 11 - James Connolly
01 - 12 - The Lark In The Morning

http://rapidshare.com/files/39897468/PR1.zip

Paddy Reilly - Paddy Reilly At Home (1974)

This isn't the original cover of this album - no idea why but they changed the photo just before I bought my copy.

02 - 01 - Come Out Ye Black And Tans
02 - 02 - Joe Hill
02 - 03 - The Limerick Rake
02 - 04 - Peggy Gordon
02 - 05 - The Foggy Dew
02 - 06 - Four Green Fields
02 - 07 - A Nation Once Again
02 - 08 - Blackwater Side
02 - 09 - Silver In The Stubble
02 - 10 - Kelly The Boy From Killane
02 - 11 - Annerchuain
02 - 12 - Salford Town

http://rapidshare.com/files/39897533/PR2.zip

Paddy Reilly - The Town I Loved So Well (1975)

Yes *that* song. Still the best version of it.

03 - 01 - The Flower Of Sweet Strabane
03 - 02 - The Cliffs Of Dooneen
03 - 03 - The Hills Of Kerry
03 - 04 - The Galway Races
03 - 05 - Rathcliff Highway
03 - 06 - Come Up The Stairs
03 - 07 - The Town I Loved So Well
03 - 08 - Arthur McBride
03 - 09 - Autumn Has Come
03 - 10 - I Once Loved A Lass
03 - 11 - Bold Tenant Farmer
03 - 12 - Sweet Carnlough Bay
03 - 13 - There Has To Be An End To It Someday
03 - 14 - The Movin' Along Song

http://rapidshare.com/files/39911066/PR3.zip

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just discovered Mellow Candle 'Swaddling Songs' bloody brilliant, why was I not informed :)?
All best
E

10:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm listening to the first Paddy album - fantastic. Really nice stuff. Thank you for putting these up.

3:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all,
great to listen to it, thank you for your effort.
One minor note:
"A Nation Once Again" (02-07) has a "hopper" in between ...
Hope to find more of this stuff!

1:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered this blog, you've got some great stuff here. Good work.

Just to set the record straight, James Connolly wasn't hanged, he was shot by a firing squad. He was propped up in a chair because he was too ill to stand.

6:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing that music...

you have a great blog!

greetings from Quito, Ecuador: karo

2:45 am  
Blogger eirebadboy said...

Paddy is a legend, love his stuff.

3:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the links! 'deportees' is a great song, great voice 'ur Paddy.

10:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot! I had just one Raddy's song on a compilation before. So you've opened the whole world for me))... Irish songs lover from The Crimea

1:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poddy! ye're soch a grand singor that i nerwly choked on my chops lostening to yor ould renditions

3:18 pm  
Blogger Skincell said...

Ga raibh a maith agat. Remember hearing Spancil hill live...touching

9:09 am  
Anonymous Tom Fitzgerald said...

Fantastic! I was looking for some of his old recordings and could not locate them..
Paddy and I played music together 45 years ago in New York. I was his accompianist (on the accordion). He was a great person and had a fantastic voice!

I tried to download the first two albums but received a message "No longer On-Line"
Could you possibly upload them once again? I would be forever thankfull for this! And in return I may be able to give you some of my old albums that I converted to digital.. Let me know who you looking for and I'll get it to you if I can..

tfitzgerald8@comcast.net

Tom Fitzgerald

3:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home