Monday, June 18, 2007

Line Twine The Willow Dee

Hmm - having said I was going to post all the Leader & Trailer stuff I could find, a trawl through my albums reveals that I don't have that many any more. But here are two that I do have - and soon there will be more folk oddities.

Here's an oddity though.

I bought this album because 'Alison Gross' was on it and I liked the Steeleye version on Parcel Of Rogues (although, with hindsight, it ain't that great - in fact I really don't rate Steeleye after the first 2 or 3 albums). I wasn't prepared for what I got, though - a pretty uncompromising and stark album with no attempt to pretty anything up, I found this album pretty hard going and I didn't play it much. I will though, now, maybe I underestimate it. Maybe not. Dave plays squeezebox on track 6, Kevin Burke plays fiddle on track 3, Packie Byrne plays whistle on track 4 and Nic Jones plays fiddle on tracks 5 & 8, but otherwise it's Dave & Toni singing unaccompanied, mostly in unison an octave apart (if that makes sense). Toni Arthur, of course, went on to present Play Away with the mighty Brian Cant.

BTW - no, I don't have any of the Nic Jones albums. Unfortunately I never really liked his solo stuff that much - my loss, I'm sure - and so all I have is the Bandoggs album on which he sings & plays. 'Penguin Eggs' is supposed to be his best album, and that *is* still available, along with some live & previously unreleased stuff on compilations, but despite listening again I'm afraid I'm still not a huge fan of his.

Dave & Toni Arthur - Hearken To The Witches Rune (1970)

01 - Alison Gross
02 - Tam Lin
03 - A Fairy Tale
04 - The Fairy Child
05 - Broomfield Hill
06 - The Standing Stones
07 - The Cruel Mother
08 - Alice Brand

http://rapidshare.com/files/37931070/rune.zip

Dick Gaughan - No More Forever (1972)

If you don't know Dick Gaughan, shame on you. This is his first solo album, the last of my great lost 'Bulmerised' Trailer albums for now.

01 - Rattlin' Roarin' Willie & The Friar's Britches
02 - MacCrimmon's Lament & Mistress Jamieson's favourite
03 - Jock O'Hazeldean
04 - Cam' Ye Ower Frae France
05 - The Bonnie Banks O' Fordie
06 - The Thatchers O' Glenrae
07 - The Fair Flower Of Northumberland
08 - The Teatotaller & Da Tushker
09 - The Three Healths
10 - The John MacLean March
11 - The Green Linnet

http://rapidshare.com/files/37925060/Nomore.zip

 

 

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fabulous post! 'No More Forever' is, in my humble opinion, one of the finest folk albums ever released.
The Dave & Toni Arthur album is a lost treasure that I've seen advertised for huge sums of money. My own copy somehow disappeared way back so it's great to have it again. It is, as you say, rather stark and uncompromising. Strangely, Dave & Toni weren't like that. A mainstay of the folk scene in the early 70s, they had a great sense of humour and were, in fact, one of my favourite acts. Thanks for hunting these out....and if you have any more Leader/Trailer stuff I for one would greatly appreciate it. What an incredible job Bill Leader did. Thank you!

8:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. These are both great.

I have a request ... It may not be a folk "oddity", but it certainly is a rarity: Bert Jansch's L.A. Turnaround

1:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there-
fantastic music here, particularly the dransfield stuff- thank you. question: do you have the first morris on album? been trying to get a copy for a while to no avail. many thanks-- keep up the fantastic blogging.

11:42 am  
Blogger Witchseason said...

Hi - yes I do have Morris On (of course!) but I don't post stuff that can easily be bought legitimately. Amazon UK has Morris On for 11 pounds (or used for £8).

12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Harken to the Witch's Rune" has been a lost graiyl for me for many a year now! Many thanks, friend! 'Twas worthy of thee Quest.

Aye. More grails humbly sought:
Arky’s Toast-From the Half Moon to the Rising Son
Brierley, Marc-Welcome to the Citadel (1968)
Brown, Bob-The Wall I Built Myself (1971)
Callier, Terry-What Color is Love (1973)
Cano-Au Nord De Notre Vie (1977)
Cano-Tous dans l'même bateau (1976)
Coe, Peter & Chris-Out of Season Out of Rhyme
Coyne, Kevin-Marjory Razorblade (1973)
Cross, Keith and Peter Ross-Bored Civilians (1972)
Dancer-Tales of the Riverbank (1972)
Graham, Ernie-s/t (1971)
Haddad, Rosemary-Coming Hohm (1975)
Harkalidid-s/t (1971)
High Level Ranters-Ye Bonnie Pit Laddie
Kelly, Peter-Path of the Wave (1969)
Lindisfarne-Nicely Out of Tune (1970)
Living Sacrifice Band-Beauty for Ashes (1979)
Maple Leaf-s/t (1972)
Markusfeld, Alain-Le Son Tombe Du Ciel (1971)
Parrenin, Emmanuelle-Maison Rose (1977)
Pererin-Teithgan (1981)
Phoenix-Mugur de Fluier
Schwarz, Brinsley-s/t (1970)
Sedmina-Melita & Veno Dolenc (1980)
Spyros, Lida-Ilektrikos Aposperitis (1972)
Talleyrand-First Fruits (1976)
Taverners-Seldom Sober
Witthüser & Westrupp-Bauer Plath (1972)

Best! :)

11:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a friend many years ago who played an album of "Witch Songs"; I have to wait a bit to see if Dave & Toni Arthur' Hearken to the Witches' Rune is the album I've been seeking, but in any event, thank you for a wonderful blog, and many musical memories. I'll be reading further back later in the day, as I'm off to bed now. (2 AM in Washington state...)

10:11 am  
Blogger schoogle said...

Hi. Thank you very much for these precious pieces of Celtic wisdom. Maybe you can tell me how to find this one: Dick Gaughan "Wind That Shakes The Barley"? I seek this song for years...

2:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wraithmask, Dick has an mp3 version on his website at http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/songs/mp3s/barley.mp3
complete Prentice Piece album - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JKTS/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music

1:04 am  
Blogger NashSpaceRocket said...

thank you so much for the 'hearken' album. been trying to find that for years.

3:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home