Sunday, September 10, 2006

I'll Wrap Your Hopes Up

When I was working as a sound engineer (see my Miracle Legion post) I had the privelige to work with some great artists and some rotten ones. Some people impressed the hell out of me when I'd been expecting them to be rubbish, others were heroes of mine (hi Roy Harper) who were - on that night at least - absolutely rotten. And then there were those who were exactly as they sounded on album.

The first time I worked with the Strawbs I was amazed to hear Dave Cousins' voice in the flesh - somehow I never really believed anyone could actually sound like that without some kind of processing - without even a microphone - and he was amazing. The other person who really impressed me in a similar way was Martyn Bates. During the soundcheck he just sang some bits and pieces to get levels etc and blew me away. I told him the only other person to have impressed me that much was Dave Cousins but I don't think he was particularly pleased...

The whole Eyeless In Gaza / Martyn Bates thing confuses me - I'm not sure how they fit together, whether they are working together or not, who's doing what, etc. And I haven't heard any of the very recent MB stuff, it sounds kinda wierd to me. But for a while they were responsible for a half dozen or so fantastic albums, of which this is the first post from me. I'm 99% certain it's not available anywhere, and this is ripped from a cassette that I made of a friend's copy so the quality isn't excellent.

But the music is.

More from EIG/MB when I get time - and if anyone can provide me a definitive and simple discography / timeline I'd be very grateful.

MARTYN BATES - LOVE SMASHED ON A ROCK

01 - I'd Better Mean It All Now
02 - Since I Can't Have You
03 - You So Secret
04 - This Is What I Say To Love
05 - Dark's Chorus
06 - Love Smashed On A Rock
07 - We Won't Begin To Belong
08 - Azure Flag
09 - She's On A Pedestal
10 - You're The Spell (I Can't Break)

http://rapidshare.de/files/32629540/bates_smashed.zip.html

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you familiar with the 80's band called LULU KISS ME DEAD? they were on beggars banquet/situation two during the 80's. also how about posting me and mr ray by miracle legion.

9:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey thanks for the post, it's good to hear Mr.Bates again. If you can post some more MB/EIG this person will be eternally grateful....thanks

7:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for this post!

5:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please could you re - upload this album. Read more here...
http://www.eyelessingaza.com/mb.html

11:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you please please re-upload this album? A friend of mine and I have been searching for the cd for over 15 years but still haven't found it anywhere. So I would really appreciate it if you could re-upload it.

10:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home