Friday, August 25, 2006

With His Brains On The Table You Could Say He Was Out Of His Head

An album that has - unfairly - disappeared without trace. Barely a half dozen references to it found via Google.

Sue Jones-Davies is probably best known for Rock Follies and 'Life Of Brian', but before either of those she was fronting The Bowles Brothers - a nice little band that I saw in quite a few smallish venues around North London in the late 70s. They were hugely unfashionable in those punk- and post-punk days but for the discerning few who still held a candle for 'real' music they were a refreshing antidote to the noise.

Obviously derivative of Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks but none the worse for that - Dan Hicks was obviously derivative of Bob Wills.

The Bowles Brothers - Roger Buys A Fridge

01 - Charlie's Nuts
02 - Fito
03 - Dashed With Tabasco
04 - Outside Runner
05 - Just One Of Those Things
06 - Roger The Dodger
07 - A Game Of Chess
08 - Beguine Again
09 - Disparate Dan

http://rapidshare.de/files/30566776/Bowles_Brothers.zip

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had two copies of this, but they both disappeared. I live in California now, but back in the day I lived in Finchley, North London, and saw the Bowles Bros at The Torrington pub about three times. A few years after that, I saw Brian Bowles at the Edinburgh Festival. He had another band that somehow did not have the magic this one did. If you ever repost this, I would love to download it. I loved it at the time, and would like to hear it again.

3:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my all-time favourite albums. I still have it on vinyl but desperately want it on my iPod. (That goes for Robert Kraft and the Ivory Coast's splendid "Moodswing" too!)

signed "Disparate Dan"!

5:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a friend of a friend of the double bass player Richard, and sat in on much of the rehearsal for this and their live shows at the time. I lost my copy decades ago and have been looking for it ever since, this is a big big find, and I thank you enormously.....
What am I going to do now...?

11:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, thanks for this! I'd heard of it, but I never heard it until now. You're right about the Dan Hicks influence, but it also seems to draw from Django and jazz vocal groups of the 50s and 60s like Lambert, Hendricks & Ross and the Swingle Singers. Fantastic!

6:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home