Wednesday, June 28, 2006

King Of The New York Streets

In July 1989 Dion DiMucci was on tour in the UK and recorded an interview and session with Roger Scott for BBC Radio One. It was broadcast in his 'Saturday Sequence' programme on 30th September, barely a month before Roger died of cancer. Dion clearly knew his host was dying, which makes some of the exchanges between them especially poignant.

Dion was then in his (by my reckoning) 7th incarnation as a musician.

Having been a teen hero with The Belmonts (A Teenager In Love, I Wonder Why), he next went solo and had hits with Runaround Sue, Drip Drop and The Wanderer (among others).

Next he signed to CBS and cut a couple of ahead-of-their-time white blues/soul albums.

Then he turned into a semi-folkie singer/songwriter balladeer and during the late 60s and early 70s he produced a series of great acoustic-based albums.

Then he went kinda AOR, making an album with Phil Spector and a couple of others - one of which (Return Of The Wanderer) is absolutely excellent.

Next Dion found serious religion and dropped out of view for a while, recording a bunch of Gospel albums that I'm afraid I haven't heard and can't comment on.

In the mid-1980s he was brought over to the UK by Dave Edmunds to make his 'comeback' album 'Yo Dion' and for a while he was fairly high profile again, but since then he's been quietly making excellent albums. In fact, with the exception of the Gospel albums (which, as I say, I haven't heard), I don't think there's a duff album in his whole recorded output. Start anywhere - but if you start with the Spector album I would advise skipping the first track. It's slightly overindulgent.

DION DIMUCCI - Live for BBC Radio One, Autumn 1989.

01 - Intro
02 - Written On The Subway Wall
03 - I've Got To Get To You
04 - Chat 1
05 - The Wanderer
06 - End of pt 1
07 - Intro to pt 2
08 - King Of The New York Streets
09 - Chat 2
10 - Drip Drop
11 - Chat 3
12 - I Wonder Why
13 - End of pt 2
14 - Intro to pt 3
15 - And The Night Stood Stiill
16 - Ruby Baby
17 - Runaround Sue
18 - Outro

http://rapidshare.de/files/24361600/Dion.rar.html

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful stuff..!!

I've wanted more Dion for ages.
I personally like his Christian stuff a lot :O)
Greetings from Sarf West London.

8:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...I'm back again.

I just played this through. What a gem..!!

Listening to the dialogue, some of it is familiar and I am sure that I listened to the original broadcast.

One problem is with track 5 - The Wanderer. There is hiss and crackle over the second half. I hope something can be done to correct this. It is such a gem :O)

9:28 pm  
Blogger Witchseason said...

I don't know that I can do anything - I'll try to find my cassette and see if the noise is there, if not I'll re-record it.

I don't know any of his Christian stuff, would be interested to hear some - maybe do a trade? I have the 'Dion' album with Abraham, Martin and John on it, plus nearly all of his other albums since then. I've also got a fair few tracks & compilations from before then, but none of the Christian albums. Please email me - address in my profile.

Keep well & thanks for the comments.

1:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have downed lots of these albums..always thought "blogs" were just written musings..didn't know they had "files" to download until I stumbled upon this site a couple weeks back..and such links to manymanymany more sites..stuff u can't find anywhere and never knew about 2 begin with...oh well..I digres..thanx 4 the great ups

12:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, is that one a commercial album or you recorded it form the radio?

11:18 pm  
Blogger Witchseason said...

No, this isn't a commercial release, I recorded it from BBC Radio One.

9:04 am  
Blogger Bucky Barnes said...

OH I am SO mad that I've found this SO late! Is there anyone could re-upload this to rapidshare - it is gone for inactivity! or email me at buckybarnes@gmail.com and I will trade with you for this! PLEASE!!! Thanks! :)

5:03 pm  
Blogger Private Beach said...

I think he may be on his 8th incarnation now - he released a blues album last year.

9:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the archivist extraordinaire. I saw the great DiMucci twice on his '89 trip to the UK - he was the sun and the moon on both occasions. Many thanks for preserving and posting.

'Born To Be With You' - opulent, bejewelled, vain, yes, yes, yes, but never indulgent.

3:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please re-post this one!?!

6:39 am  
Blogger Copacetic47 said...

please re-post ...
thank you

10:24 pm  
Anonymous Radiodaze said...

Please repost Jerry. I have the album Yo Frankie and I remember this broadcast. There were two giants in the studio that day..Both Dion and Roger Scott, probably the greatest music loving broadcaster ever heard on British radio. I still mourn his passing. I know Roger loved this great artist and played Yo Frankie a lot in his final shows. Can we please have this again?

5:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you can repost this

9:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pleeeease re-post !

10:29 am  
Blogger Witchseason said...

The problem with being 'anonymous' is that I can't reply to you. Still, check out http://witchseason.com/albums.htm.

6:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home