Wednesday, June 21, 2006

It's a new day, it's a dawning day

Right, now what to say about Home? I bought this album because a friend of mine (Andy Georgiou) went on and on about how brilliant it was. And, in part, he was right - but it's an inconsistent album musically, in three parts. The opening track (Dreamer) promises an album of hard electric rock with big harmonies, but then the rest of side 1 is mainly acoustic ballads. Mick Cook told me that 'Rise Up' was nearly used to advertise Cornfakes. Side 2 is another fettle of kish - it's always seemed to me to be a self-contained suite of atmospheric spacey progrock gorgeousness complete with bowed bass guitar. The first album 'Pause For A Hoarse Horse' is a duff country-rock affair, the third album 'The Alchemist' was the band's favourite but didn't do anything for me - I always though of it as the audio version of the inside cover of Led Zep IV. Laurie Wisefield went on to join Wishbone Ash, Cliff Williams joined AC/DC, Mick Stubbs (I think) died, and Mick Cook joined the Groundhogs and then cleaned my mum's windows.

HOME - Home

01 - Dreamer
02 - Knave
03 - Fancy Lady Hollywood Child
04 - Rise Up
05 - Dear Lord
06 - Baby Friend Of Mine
07 - Western Front
08 - Lady Of The Birds

http://rapidshare.de/files/23667570/Home.rar.html

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a great album.
There is a fourth one: Live BBC Sessions.
Great post!

9:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanx dude! You wouldn't happen to have their other albums by any chance, wudya?

10:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post - thank you very much.

3:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful stuff..!!

I've been after this album for ages - thanks very much.

I have Alchemy :)

Any chance of getting the BBC Sessions - I didn't know that existed.

Greetings from Sarf West London :O)

1:24 pm  
Blogger Witchseason said...

This is the only Home album that I still have, because it's the only one I really liked - the others may be in my loft somewhere but I've no idea where. Sorry.

1:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanx I used to own this album back in the early seventies, been searching for it.

René
The Netherlands

3:21 pm  
Blogger broke said...

Listening to the Home album on CD now. Used to have it on vinyl and then tracked it down on CD a few years ago. Discovered your blog via a Google search for info on the band. I still like the album a lot - although nostalgia may colour the listening experience!

3:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man - Greasy Truckers Party would be great to hear again. I've got the vinyl but I didn't keep my turntable! Great blog. BIG Steve

10:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Link is dead.

1:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, could you reupload this?

11:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, could you reupload this? I need this too.

5:38 pm  
Anonymous peter said...

hi out there!
i guess there is a 5th home album...some bloger say its a fouth studio album, but it only exists as testpressing. i guess it is true because i got a promo single "greeneyed fairy"
so if anyone got the testpressing please write!! :)
thanx

10:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks VERY much to Mr Witchseason for all the various uploads, especially the Marmelade 100% proof, but as he has not been able to reupload this one I eventually tracked it down at the following address

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=14FZFV5E

contains both Home - Home album and also Pause for a Hoarse Horse

3:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi witchseason
good critique on the album. I have the 3 LPs and the BBC session CD and think the band grew in style and talent album by album. Yes I have read in many places they recorded a 4th studio album (some reviews say their best effort) but they broke up when Laurie Wisefield left for Wishbone Ash. would love to find a downlad of the 4th or get a email underway to get Sony to release finally it. thanks for your site very enjoyable
peter. australia

5:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home