Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Master Of The Revels

Well, I've had some nice requests - Too Stuffed To Jump, Fiction, Pygmy, Old No 1, etc - all great albums, but all of them readily available. You can get the Guy Clark album for £3.97 from Amazon!!! I thought I'd made it clear that I don't post albums that can be easily bought. Sorry guys.

So, today, Pete Atkin.

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone could help me find some Pete Atkin CDs - thanks to some nice peeps I have now managed to get the full set.

Pete Atkin, in case anyone isn't aware, is a very *English* singer/songwriter whose lyrics are written by Clive James - not normally someone I particularly like but in this particular respect they are a fine partnership, on the whole

The original CDs seem to slip in and out of print so I won't post them here, instead I've cobbled together a bunch of tracks that were originally released on a 'Best Of' compilation some time in the mid 70s. I bought that album on cassette when I was on tour in Ireland - the local shop in Donegal Town had hardly anything I recognised apart from this and a Gordon Lightfoot cassette - and it was something I played to myself quite a lot during the tour.

This is the original track listing, and not every track is a gem - for every 'Flowers And The Wine' there's a 'Wristwatch For A Drummer' - a song that seems to exist purely to show off some clever word play. The subject matter and melody of the latter are banal, to say the least, I do wish he'd been a bit more critical.

If you like this, try to get the original albums - you might try his Web site first.

Pete Atkin - Master Of The Revels, The Essential Pete Atkin (1977)

01 - Thirty Year Man
02 - Master Of The Revels
03 - Sunlight Gate
04 - Between Us There Is Nothing
05 - Girl On The Train
06 - The Faded Mansion On The Hill
07 - The Wristwatch For A Drummer
08 - I See The Joker
09 - Perfect Moments
10 - Sessionman's Blues
11 - Thief In The Night
12 - Screen-Freak
13 - The Flowers And The Wine
14 - Beware Of The Beautiful Stranger

http://rapidshare.com/files/26430436/Atkin.zip

4 Comments:

Blogger Max said...

Thanks for the post & for a great blog. I've been curious about Pete Atkin for a while but his records aren't exactly common in the US.

3:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More please. My vinyl is worn out from much playing. Pete Atkin is great. What lines!

8:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You explained: "The Witchseason name as used here is not connected with, but is partly a homage to, Joe Boyd's Witchseason Productions, which was responsible for some of the best music to come out of the late 60s and early 70s" . . . But what about a possible link with that great 1970s song, "Season of the Witch," of which Wikipedia says, in part, "a song by Donovan first released on his Epic Records (USA) album Sunshine Superman, that has been covered by many other artists"?

12:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Answered my own question! Wikipedia again: "The song title also inspired record producer Joe Boyd to call his company Witchseason Productions."

12:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home