Thursday, June 01, 2006

Byzantium Were Unable To Appear Owing To A Power Cut

OK - here goes. I've been really impressed by some of the old vinyl that has been ripped and posted on blogs around here so I've decided to add some of my own. To the best of my knowledge, none of this stuff is commercially available, so I don't think I'm breaking any laws. If the record companies (is that still what they're called?) decide to reissue any of this stuff it'd be a different matter - but frankly I can't see it.

I'll add stuff to this blog as and when I get time, but for now here are the two officially released Byzantium albums from 72/73, plus the unreleased 3rd album. Chaz Jankel (gtr) went on to join the Blockheads, Robin Lamble (bass) played with Al Stewart (BTW he was the brother of Fairport's original drummer Martin), Mick Barakan changed his name to Shane Fontayne, Jamie Rubinstein and Stevie Corduner - no idea what happened to them.

Unfortunately I only have the 3rd album on an old cassette that Steve Burgess (of Dark Star fame) made for me so it's a bit muddy and hissy (Steve was a great hater of dolby NR) but better than nothing.

01 - What Is Happening
02 - I Am A Stranger To My Life
03 - Come Fair One
04 - Baby I Can Hear You Calling Me
05 - Trade Wind
06 - Into The Country
07 - Lady Friend
08 - Why Or Maybe It's Because

http://rapidshare.de/files/21945638/Byzantium.rar.html

No password (why bother?).

BTW the title of this post refers to the fact that Byzantium were on the bill of the gig that was recorded and released as Greasy Truckers Party, with Man, Hawkwind and Brinsley Schwartz. If there hadn't been a pwer cut and they had appeared, and been on the album, their career might have gone a different way - they were a cracking live band as I remember (and I saw them *lots* of times).

3 Comments:

Blogger Emil Thompson said...

hey man, great stuff, keep em comin, hope you don't get hassled by any jobsworths like I did when I started sharing unobtainable music mpegs on the web.

5:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I've been looking for this for sometime now. I just found it on your blog but evidently there wasn't much interest. It hasn't been downloaded in sometime so they deleted it. Any chance of re-posting it or sending me a link to download? I had a promo of this when it was released in '72. You can email me at Jason@e-AuctionSuccess.com .

1:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Witchseason,

I too would LOVE to get hold of the MP3s of that Byzantium album but as the previous writer said its no longer active. Any chance you'd be so kind and help me and create a new link maybe?

If anyone has the other 2 Byzantium LPs as MP3 I'd also be very interested.

Many tks / gareth

3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home